Re: RFC: Packaging converters from ${format} to ISO

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 18:02 -0500, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> I want to package mdf2iso and b5i2iso, two small utilities that convert
> proprietary programs' CD image formats into the normal ISO format that
> cdrecord and Linux's iso9660 filesystem accept.  There are at least half a
> dozen such utilities that would be useful.

I imagine those would be most welcome additions to debian, I hope you
can find a sponsor for them.

> * create ITPs for all of these and create separate source packages
> for each of them, or

Has the advantage of having correct versions.

> * create a single source package e.g. "all2iso" that creates separate
>    binary packages for each of the utilities, or

This will almost certainly be rejected from NEW - see the "Package
split" part of http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html

> * create a single source package that creates a single binary package for
>    all of these.

Probably the best option, although you will have to make up your own
version numbers.

> Note that, after compiling for i386, each of the programs is under 20
> kilobytes.  I'd appreciate advice on which of these is the best way to go.

In that case I'd suggest creating one big binary package.

--
bye,
pabs

http://pabs.zip.to