Re: Rationale behind script-not-executable lintian warning

On Friday 23 December 2005 10:24, Frank Küster wrote:

> The fact that the script is not in the path isn't enough for you here?
> And don't you think that anyone who knows that a shebang lines indicates
> executability from the command line

shebang line does _not_ indicate executability, it's the magic number that
indicates it's a script instead of machine code (see e.g
http://foldoc.org/?shebang)

if it's meant to be executable it should have the executable bit set, this
is unrelated from the shebang line (if not what do you do with a script
that's executable for the owner but not for anyone else? automatically
remove the shebang depending on who opens it?)
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)