Re: Rationale behind script-not-executable lintian warning

Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> On 22-Dec-2005, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
>> On Wednesday 21 December 2005 18:41, Bas Wijnen wrote:
>> > If it is meant to be executed, it should be executable.
>> > If it is not, it should not have the shebang line.
>>
>> I disagree, there's nothing wrong with clearly documenting what
>> shell variant a script is written in, on the contrary IMHO
>
> A shebang line is more than documentation: it is a strong indication
> that the script will be executable from the command line. To have that
> expectation not be matched by the file's permission mode is a recipe
> for confusion.

The fact that the script is not in the path isn't enough for you here?
And don't you think that anyone who knows that a shebang lines indicates
executability from the command line would easily solve the problem of a
"permission denied"?

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster