Re: RFS: k9copy

On Monday 21 November 2005 19:24, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 07:21:16PM +0100, Sven Mueller wrote:
> > Russ Allbery wrote on 21/11/2005 18:15:
> > >
> > > If the reason for the lintian messages is an actual bug in the package
> > > (such as in this case, where there are missing man pages), I actually
> > > prefer to see the lintian messages stay rather than using overrides.  A
> > > lintian override to me means that the lintian message is wrong in this
> > > particular case, not that it's a known bug.
> >
> > Well, I generally agree with you, which is why I said 'you might
> > need...' - it depends on why the lintian error exists.
> > In this particular case, it seems that
> > - k9vamps is executable but undocumented upstream and probably only used
> >   internally ("used by k9copy"). If this is intended to be like this,
> >   the lintian warning is a kind of false positive.
Debian policy says that every executable in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, etc...
should have a manpage...
This was a bug, and a lintian override is not a good idea, IMHO.

> Independent of the lintian discussion, IMHO such a program should go
> into /usr/lib/$package/ rather than /usr/bin/, if for no other reason
> than so that a lintian override is unnecessary..
Now I moved k9vamps and k9playcell in /usr/lib/k9copy directory and create a
patch to use this new location...

vamps is used by k9copy, and I have not found a howto about vamps (if, in the
future, someone will ask for vamps... I'll separate vamps from k9copy...)!

Now k9copy is Lintian Free :D

Upstream Site:
 http://k9copy.free.fr

Updated version of k9copy here:
http://www.knio.it/debian/k9copy

ITP: #320045

About Package:
 K9copy is an utility that allow the copy of one or
 more titles from a DVD9 to a DVD5.

 The DVD video stream is compressed by the program Vamps.

 Some features:
  * The video stream is compressed to make the DVD fit
    on 4.7 Gb recordable DVD
  * DVD Burning
  * Creation of ISO images
  * Possibility of selecting the audio tracks and subtitles
    to be copied
  * Title preview
  * Possibility of preserving the original menus

Package is released under the GPL license. I wrote in debian/copyright a small
list about files' copyright:

Copyright Holder: 2005 by Jean-Michel Petit <k9copy@free.fr>

Whith these exceptions:

src/idct_alpha.cpp:
* Copyright (C) 2002-2003 Falk Hueffner <falk@debian.org>
* Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Michel Lespinasse <walken@zoy.org>
* Copyright (C) 1999-2000 Aaron Holtzman <aholtzma@ess.engr.uvic.ca>

src/vis.h:
* Copyright (C) 2003 David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>
* Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Michel Lespinasse <walken@zoy.org>
* Copyright (C) 1999-2000 Aaron Holtzman <aholtzma@ess.engr.uvic.ca>

src/rgb_mmx.cpp:
* Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Silicon Integrated System Corp.

src/rgb_vis.cpp, src/motion_comp_vis.cpp:
* Copyright (C) 2003 David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>

src/dvd_udf.c, src/dvd_udf.h:
* Copyright (C) 1999 Christian Wolff for convergence integrated media

src/slice.cpp, src/header.cpp, src/uyvy.cpp:
* Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Michel Lespinasse <walken@zoy.org>
* Copyright (C) 2003      Peter Gubanov <peter@elecard.net.ru>
* Copyright (C) 1999-2000 Aaron Holtzman <aholtzma@ess.engr.uvic.ca>

src/bswap.h:
* Copyright (C) 2000, 2001 Billy Biggs <vektor@dumbterm.net>,

src/rgb.cpp, src/alloc.cpp, src/mmx.h, src/mpeg2convert.h,
src/motion_comp_mmx.cpp, src/tendra.h, src/idct.cpp, src/attributes.h,
src/mpeg2.h, src/cpu_accel.cpp, src/video_out.h, src/motion_comp.cpp,
src/decode.cpp, src/mpeg2_internal.h, src/motion_comp_altivec.cpp,
src/convert_internal.h, src/idct_mmx.cpp, src/idct_altivec.cpp,
src/cpu_state.cpp:
* Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Michel Lespinasse <walken@zoy.org>
* Copyright (C) 1999-2000 Aaron Holtzman <aholtzma@ess.engr.uvic.ca>
<<