Re: Question about skim.

Christopher Schütz wrote:

> Am Sonntag, den 13.11.2005, 01:18 +0000 schrieb Sune Vuorela:
>> A chroot is a nice solution - I use it for many things.
>>
>> the program 'debootstrap' can help you building a chroot.
>>
>> just:
>> mkdir sid-chroot
>> sudo debootstrap sid sid-chroot http://yournearestmirror.
>> sudo chroot sidchroot
>>
>> in here, you can create a user account, install packages and whatever
>> you like.
>>
>> /Sune
>>
> I got a problem here. Like you suggested I did a
> '$ sudo debootstrap sid chroot http://ftp.de.debian.org'.
> All goes well until I get 'E: Couldn't download libsigc++-1.2-5c102'
> and debootstrap quits. Any suggestions what went wrong?

Sid is often hard to get debootstrapped directly due to the
ever-changing library packages.  Try setting up a sarge or etch chroot,
then chroot into it and set up the network interfaces.  Then you can
update to Sid with APT (of course you have to set up the appropriate
/etc/apt/sources.list file in the chroot first, too).

Once set up, you may want to look into the "dchroot" package which lets
you give normal users the permission to chroot to the other distribution.

regards,