Re: Question about skim.

Bas Wijnen wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 01:18:12AM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
>> A chroot is a nice solution - I use it for many things.
>>
>> the program 'debootstrap' can help you building a chroot.
>>
>> just:
>> mkdir sid-chroot
>> sudo debootstrap sid sid-chroot http://yournearestmirror.
>> sudo chroot sidchroot
>
> I always mount proc (and sometimes /dev, at least when I used devfs).  Without
> it, the system is handicapped, although package installs should work.
>
> sudo --bind /proc sid-chroot/proc

It's a good idea to bind-mount /tmp inside the chroot as well if you
want to run any graphical programs from within it.  I also put the
bind-mounts at the end of /etc/fstab so they're done automatically:

/proc           /sid/proc       none    rw,bind         0       0
/tmp            /sid/tmp        none    rw,bind         0       0
/home           /sid/home       none    rw,bind         0       0

You may not want to bind-mount /home if you are running programs very
different between their sid and sarge incarnations -- e.g. they could
mess up your sarge dot-files -- but I find it very convenient.  Just be
sure to keep the regular users in /etc/{passwd,group,shadow,gshadow} in
sync in the chroot.

regards,