Re: RFS: icecc -- Control Center for IceWM window manager

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 01:43:49PM -0800, Stan Vasilyev wrote:
> The IceWM Control Center allows you to run various tools for configuring
> IceWM's options. It launches menu/toolbar editor, winoptions editor, keys
> editor, theme switcher and other tools.
>
> The homepage of icecc is http://icecc.sourceforge.net/
>
> License: GPL
>
> This app was requested in two different RFPs:
>
> Currently, IceWM lacks a common Control Center where everything can be
> configured. icecc is the first program that attempts to solve this
> issue. I'm planning to also package the other IceWM tools from the same
> author, make a Debian theme for icecc and customize the packages for
> Debian users.
>
> My icecc package is already somewhat Debian-customized. I changed some
> source code to make the app more attractive, wrote a simple manpage,
> removed unnecessary scripts and cleaned-up some documentation. The
> package is clean, lintian error-free and builds perfectly with pbuilder.
>
> Debian sources, hosted on Debian Mentors:
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/i/icecc/
>
> Debian Sponsors page:
> http://sponsors.debian.net/viewpkg.php?id=129
>
> Best regards,
> Stan Vasilyev

Please also consider IceWM Control Panel.  In addition, you should read
this thread:  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/06/msg02031.html

The short version is that the iceme and icepref packages are basically
dead upstream and need to be superseded in unstable.  A while back I
expressed an interest in adopting iceme and icepref:

My reason for adopting them was to turn them into dummy packages that
only depended on the new icewmcp package I was going to make.  For a
number of reasons, I have not gotten around to doing it.  One reason is
that I was going to use icewmcp since I was going to setup IceWM on a
number of older machines that were donated to my church.  However, that
wasn't going to work out and people were finding it difficult to use.  I
ended up configuring a LTSP server and using GNOME instead.  Thus, I
will likely not ever get around to it.

If you proceed with this, please also examine icewmcp and see whether it
or icecc is the better choice.  Also, please hijack my two ITA bugs and
provide a good upgrade path for the users out there that are still stuck
on iceme and/or icepref.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez