Re: RFS: linsmith

> Okay, its a uuencoded PDF file.  Remove that and the .diff.gz is only
> 26KB.  You'll want to generate the PDF from source, if at all
> possible.  Where are you getting the ./debian/manual.pdf.uu?  Is it an
> updated copy?  Why isn't it distributed with upstream?

I have already answered this in the previous email I sent.  It's made
from a lyx file and generating it from lyx at build time is quite
unfriendly.

> I would suggest "a tool to generate Smith Charts", since most of
> Debian is "program", for at least somebody's definition of program.

Well, that goes almost as much for "tool".  But I can change it, I
don't really mind.

> Long description:
> I would suggest explaining what a Smith Chart is somewhere other than
> the first sentence, which should be specific to this tool.  See the
> Developers Reference for such best practices.

Well, this was changed in reply to my ITP since people got confused by
the fact that they didn't know what a Smith Chart was.  I do feel it
makes much more sense to put the explanation first and then the
description of what the tool does. Than to explain what the tool does
and the suddently explain what a Smith Chart is.

> Instead of "linsSmith's website:", I would prefer "Homepage:", as per
> convention.

Ok.

> > ./debian/linsmith.doc-base:
> The abstract should include some technical detail.

There isn't much technical detail to give. It's a user manual, with
screenshots and stuff.

> ./debian/rules:
> You might consider including the list of documentation on the
> commandline for dh_installdocs, rather than in a separate file.
> Same for dh_installdirs.

I like the separate files way.  What would I gain by having it in the
rules file?

> You might also consider *removing* config.{sub,guess} in the clean
> target, rather than copying them.  This makes the .diff easy to read,
> which is important IMHO.  Then you will want to copy or symlink them
> somewhere in the configure target (or a dependency thereof).

This is the dh_make template.  If you are sure that your approach is
better, I suggest you file a bug against it.

> So, the only big problem is that PDF file.  You will want to generate
> it from source, which will make the .diff much smaller, and also means
> that the source is actually included, and the generated files are
> actually generated by building.  Remember to update build-deps as
> necessary.

The source IS included, the file is pre-generated because it doesn't
make sense to do it at build time.  I did not choose to uuencode and
uudecode it just because I'm crazy, it's the solution to the problem
posed by having to generate the file from a lyx source.

--
Besos,
Marga