Re: Upstream tar.gz in orig file à la dbs (was Re: dpatch & upstream source)

Hi

> > Also, how does this work WRT pristine source requirements?  I notice
> > that coreutils embedded upstream tarball is pristine, but of course
> > the .orig is not.
>
> That's the kind of question I'm looking answers for.  In the developer manual,
> it is clearly said that the .orig.tar.gz should be a "byte-for-byte identical
> to a tarball officially distributed by the upstream author."
>
> ... but, dbs does it.  coreutils is just an example.  I've seen some other
> package doing that.  There are probably many of them but I don't download
> source package very often.

With dpatch maintainer hat on,
dpatch-convert-diffgz should work for most problems,
although it does have a few bugs.
If you can work with filterdiff et al directly, that's fine.

erlang leaving things around might be a problem.
Most C/C++ codes using autoconf/automake have checks against them.

More of an operational point of view,
it's difficult to look at source code.
Bug #250202 is the one to look at; which seems to have a solution.

I stumbled upon this when I tried to write a hook to import Debian
sources to gonzui (source-code browser).

regards,
	junichi