libwww0 dependency problem on new architecture

Hi!

I'm not sure whether this is the right mailing list to ask this question
-- if it's not, I apologise, and would appreciate a pointer to a better
place to ask this question.  Thanks.

While trying to bootstrap debian sarge for a new architecture*, I'm
having some problems while building the w3c-libwww package.

In short, the regular sarge arm libwww0 package has the following
control directives:
	Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.3.1-1), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
	Conflicts: libwww-ssl0

But the version that I get when I do dpkg-buildpackage ends up with
the following directives:
	Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21), libwww-ssl0 (>= 5.4.0), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)
	Conflicts: libwww-ssl0

For one, my package doesn't depend on libgcc1 (why?), but the more
serious problem is that when I build the package, it both depends on
and conflicts with libwww-ssl0!

I've tried a number of things but am kind of lost as to what could
be causing this.  Can anyone here give me a hand with this?  Is it just
a matter of me having different versions of packages installed as the
arm buildd that originally built the sarge libwww0 package, or is something
else going on?

thanks,
Lennert

* I'm building sarge for big-endian ARM systems ('armeb'), see
  http://sukurys.wantstofly.org/