Re: sponsors.debian.net beta

Eddy Petrisor wrote:

>On 8/18/05, Bastian Venthur <expires-2006@venthur.de> wrote:
>

>There's no such thing as not viewable in FF remotely and viewable in
>FF locally. Either FF supports it or it does not.
>There is a set of standard. The page is not visible because is not
>standard compliant.
>
>Probably wget is broken and does some mangling, but that does not
>change the fact that the page is not compliant.
>

>>wget the site and surf it locally with ff everything looks well, but
>>surfing online to sponsors.debian.net -- I just get a white page with the
>>above code.
>>
>>There seems to be a difference between my local an the foreign version of
>>this page -- at least for ff.
>>

>At least for wget. Firefox should not care about the location of the page.
>
>I don't want to shoot anybody and the site is great, but these kind of
>problems can be avoided/fixed by means of using standards.
>
>Please mark "pass validator.w3c.org" on the todo list.

There is a difference. When viewed remotely, the webserver reports a
mime type in the Content-Type: header, while locally it is autodetected.
If the server claims a web page is text/plain then Firefox will
correctly display it as plain text regardless of the actual content. I
encountered a site with an incorrectly set type just a few days ago.
That said, sponsors.debian.net is reporting correctly as text/html for
me so it seems unlikely that this is the problem.

Michael Spang