Re: sponsors.debian.net beta

On 8/18/05, Bastian Venthur <expires-2006@venthur.de> wrote:
> Eddy Petrisor wrote:
>
> >> ---
> >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
> >> ---
> >>

> > Of course,
> >
> > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsponsors.debian.net%2F
> >

> This site is still not viewable with firefox. The funny thing is: when i

There's no such thing as not viewable in FF remotely and viewable in
FF locally. Either FF supports it or it does not.
There is a set of standard. The page is not visible because is not
standard compliant.

Probably wget is broken and does some mangling, but that does not
change the fact that the page is not compliant.

> wget the site and surf it locally with ff everything looks well, but
> surfing online to sponsors.debian.net -- I just get a white page with the
> above code.
>
> There seems to be a difference between my local an the foreign version of
> this page -- at least for ff.

At least for wget. Firefox should not care about the location of the page.

I don't want to shoot anybody and the site is great, but these kind of
problems can be avoided/fixed by means of using standards.

Please mark "pass validator.w3c.org" on the todo list.

--
Regards,
EddyP