Re: RFS: ITP: crystalcursors -- X11 mouse theme with the crystal

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 06:19:15PM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: Bastian Venthur <expires-2006@venthur.de>
>
> * Package name    : crystalcursors
>   Version         : 1.1
>   Upstream Author : Marco Martin <m4rt@libero.it>
> * URL             : http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=6240
> * License         : LGPL
>   Description     : X11 mouse theme with the crystal look&feel

> Hi Mentors,
>
> I'm seeking a sponsor for these beautyfull mouse cursors. Alltogether it is
> basicly one theme which comes in 20 different flavors (different colors,
> left-handed, animated, not-animated).
>
> It is linda-clean but gives a lintian warning like this for every cursor:
>
> W: crystalcursors: packages-installs-file-to-usr-x11r6
> usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/crystalwhiteleft_nonanim/
>
> but I guess it's OK -- because these are cursors and they have to be
> installed in this directory.
My understanding is otherwise:

 http://lintian.debian.org/reports/Tpackages-installs-file-to-usr-x11r6.html
| packages-installs-file-to-usr-x11r6
|   Packages using the X Window System should not be configured to install
|   files under the /usr/X11R6/ directory unless they use imake. The /usr/X11R6/
|   directory hierarchy should be regarded as deprecated for all packages except
|   the X Window System itself.

|   Programs that use GNU autoconf and automake are usually easily configured
|   at compile time to use /usr/ instead of /usr/X11R6/, and this should be done
|   whenever possible.

|   Refer to Policy Manual, section 11.8.7 for details.

Could you test and see if it works if you use /usr/ instead?

I'm no X11 expert, but I tend to believe that lintian/policy know what
they're doing.

Justin