Re: question about increasing versionnumbers

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 11:24:54PM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> Hi Mentors,

> as I've noticed no one is rightnow interested in sponsoring my
> tvbrowser-package. But since, I really want to maintain this package (I use
> it for myself) I have a question about future changes I'll make in this
> package.

> What is the best practice, when making small changes to the package like
> fixing typos and stuff? Should I stick to my "initial release" or should i
> alter the Versionnumber everytime I make change?

> And the next question in a bigger context: What if a new upstream comes out
> while my package is not sponsored? Should I pretend to maintain a real
> package and alter the changelog and stuff or should the last package which
> is not part of debian always be the "initial release"?

If your package is available for people other than yourself to
download, I would definately suggest pretending it's in the
archive, and update versions accordingly.

It also gives your eventual sponsor history for the package,
providing more evidence as to your commitment and skills,
especially over the long term. (Which is important, so that
your package does not get sponsored once, then bitrot.)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/