question about increasing versionnumbers

Hi Mentors,

as I've noticed no one is rightnow interested in sponsoring my
tvbrowser-package. But since, I really want to maintain this package (I use
it for myself) I have a question about future changes I'll make in this
package.

What is the best practice, when making small changes to the package like
fixing typos and stuff? Should I stick to my "initial release" or should i
alter the Versionnumber everytime I make change?

And the next question in a bigger context: What if a new upstream comes out
while my package is not sponsored? Should I pretend to maintain a real
package and alter the changelog and stuff or should the last package which
is not part of debian always be the "initial release"?

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Bastian