Re: howto get rid of native-package-with-dash-version?

Carlo Segre wrote:

> I believe that this happens when dpkg-buildpackage cannot find an
> appropriately names original tarball.  It then assumes that the package is
> a native Debian package which should not have a revision number by policy.
> This is usually dealt with by specifing the source tarball when running
> dh_make.  In this case, you don't have a *.tar.gz source but a *.zip so
> you will probably just have to take the contents of the original
> tvbrowser_v1.1Alpha2_cvs.zip file and make a
> tvbrowser_v1.1Alpha2_cvs.tar.gz out of it or better yet simply name it
> tvbrowser_1.1+cvs20050622.orig.tar.gz.  If you choose the former, then
> make a symbolic link
>
> tvbrowser_1.1+cvs20050622.orig.tar.gz --> tvbrowser_v1.1Alpha2_cvs.tar.gz
>
> When dpkg-buildpackage runs, it will find the *.orig.tar.gz file and not
> make it a native package.

Thank you for your hint, I think now I get the idea of what went wrong ;)

Ok but one question remains: When I unpacked the original sources, I had to
rename the resulting dir to calm dh_make down -- when I now unpack the .zip
in order to make an .orig.tar.gz out of it, do I have to rename the dir too
or has the .orig.tar.bz an exact copy of the .zip?

Thanks again and kind regards

Bastian