Re: Shared library concern

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 02:24:16PM -0400, Fran?ois-Denis Gonthier wrote:
> On April 17, 2005 08:29 am, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>
> > Here the problem is probably that it doesn't have an soname.  The
> > libcodeblocks.so should be a symlink to the real library.  And
> > the library itself should get version number added to it.
> >
> > I suggest you read section 8 of the policy about shared
> > libraries.
>
> The soname doesn't seem to be the problem in that case:
>
> E: codeblocks: sharedobject-in-library-directory-not-actually-a-shlib
> usr/lib/libcodeblocks.so.1.0-beta6

Did you run lintian with -i? Lintian can explain its tags on request.
It's such a pity this seems to be such an unknown feature...

N:
N:   A shared object was identified in a library directory (i.e. a
N:   directory in the standard linker path) which doesn't have a SONAME.
N:   This is usually an error.
N:
N:   SONAMEs are set with something like gcc -Wl,-soname,libfoo.so.0, where
N:   0 is the major version of the library. If your package uses libtool,
N:   then libtool invoked with the right options should be doing this.
N:

> (...)

> I'll keep looking for the potential problem in the docs you gave me.
> Meanwhile, since I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject of shared
> libraries, I'll take any inputs this list can give me.

Shared libraries are something one should have a reasonable
understanding of before maintaining one, as it's a bit tricky to get
right, and more importantly, you cause a lot of problems if you get it
wrong. Think abi change without soname change, wrong links in -dev
packages, etc etc. Libraries by their nature are intended to be depended
on, and as such, require a reasonable amount of extra care to get right.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl