Re: debian directory included in upstream

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 06:27:52PM -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> >I disagree. ./debian is the domain of the Debian maintainer, not of
> >the upstream. Unless you are developing software *for* *Debian*
> >(native), there is no reason why you should bother with ./debian at
> >all.
> >
> What about the case in which the upstream maintainer is the Debian
> maintainer? I create packages for a piece of sofware I've written (and
> for which I'm looking a sponsor, see
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2005/04/msg00106.html ). The
> debian/ directory is in CVS, naturally. It is currently distributed in
> the .tar.gz file. Should it be removed? This would make things more
> difficult for me, because in the case of a new version, I would need to
> untar the new .tar.gz file and then copy the debian/ directory from CVS.

Well that's the way it is. Consider someone will fill bugreport stating
that you have a typo in your package description. Having native package you
will have to upload whole new source.tar.gz. Having Debian packaging
infrastructure in diff.gz you will have to reupload only this part.

Developing software != making Debian packages. At least in general.
SuSE, Fedora, Mandrake, Slackware, <put anything here> won't use your
debian/* stuff so why do you want to include it in your releases?
For Debian users? They'll use Debian OFFICIAL package. If you don't have
official package then... that's not a case here.

regards
fEnIo

--
  ,''`.  Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@debian.org | pgp:0x13fefc40 | irc:fEnIo
 : :' :       32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - w. malopolskie - Poland