Re: Discriminating between install after purge and install from state rc?

Adeodato Simó <asp16@alu.ua.es> wrote:

>   So I can be wrong, but for me, the classification needed in postinst
>   would be only two-way, not three way.

Agreed.

>   Please let me know if three-way
>   classification can be relevant under some circumstances. Just to
>   mention it for completeness sake, the arguments to postinst give such
>   information like this:
>
>     postinst with $1 == configure
>
>               (a) if $2 == ""  ==> coming from purged: can create file
>                                    blindly
>
>               (b) if $2 != ""  ==> coming from installed (at version $2)
>                                    or 'rc' (with $2 being the last version):

Literally, $2 is "most-recently-configured-version".  I read this as
"none if there is no configured version", but it might as well mean
"none only if there never *was* a configured version".  This is why I
thought I needed to discriminate.

Note that I unsubscribed from all Debian lists for a while, so please Cc
me if you think that it's not sufficient for me to look it up in the
archive in a couple of weeks.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster