Re: Question about autogenerated data files

Matthew Palmer schrieb:
> Torsten Marek said:
>
>>eric (a Python IDE which is built around QScintilla) supports code
>>completion and tool tips. For that feature to work, it needs API files
>>which can be autogenerated by some scripts from upstream (one for the
>>Python builtins & modules, the other one for PyQt APIs).
>>
>>I am searching for the best method to include these files:
>>
>>- - I build them myself and include them in the eric package (they end
>>up in the .diff.gz)
>>- - I build them myself and put them in a separate (native?) package -
>>- I include the scripts in the package and let the files be created at
>>build time. After that, they can either reside in eric itself or in a
>>separate package.
>

> I like option 3.  Building them yourself isn't particularly reproducible.
>
> But what about option 4 -- have them get built at install-time?  Is this
> aglomeration of code-completion data suitable for embedding ones' own
> python module data into?  That would be the best option, if it's
> appropriate (if it takes 2 hours on a modern machine to run the scripts,
> I'd vote 'not appropriate'...)

Yes, I thought about that, too. If it was built at run time, everything in
/usr/lib/pythonx.y/site-packages/ + __builtins__ + /usr/lib/site-python would be
indexed, plus the PyQt apis. The glitch is that it won't index any newer
packages, but that is acceptable, I think.
If the files are created at install time, they have to reside in /var/lib, if I
understand the FHS correctly, don't they?
I'll do some timings with the scripts and post the results somewhat later.

>>BTW, splitting the package won't save any space, since eric is
>>Python-only (Arch..: all).
>

> If the data files are a fair size, I'd put them in a separate package,
> which is recommended by the main package.  Some people have good enough
> memories that they don't need no steenkin' code completion... <grin>

I myself don't use it, since Python code completion is more guessing than
anything else - or you do a lot of analysis. If one really wants the IDE to
write code, Java + Eclipse is the way to go. Amazing, how many lines you can
create with just some mouse clicks.

greetings

Torsten

- --
Torsten Marek <shlomme@gmx.net>
ID: A244C858 -- FP: 1902 0002 5DFC 856B F146  894C 7CC5 451E A244 C858
Keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net