Re: Question about autogenerated data files

Torsten Marek said:
> eric (a Python IDE which is built around QScintilla) supports code
> completion and tool tips. For that feature to work, it needs API files
> which can be autogenerated by some scripts from upstream (one for the
> Python builtins & modules, the other one for PyQt APIs).
>
> I am searching for the best method to include these files:
>
> - - I build them myself and include them in the eric package (they end
> up in the .diff.gz)
> - - I build them myself and put them in a separate (native?) package -
> - I include the scripts in the package and let the files be created at
> build time. After that, they can either reside in eric itself or in a
> separate package.

I like option 3.  Building them yourself isn't particularly reproducible.

But what about option 4 -- have them get built at install-time?  Is this
aglomeration of code-completion data suitable for embedding ones' own
python module data into?  That would be the best option, if it's
appropriate (if it takes 2 hours on a modern machine to run the scripts,
I'd vote 'not appropriate'...)
> BTW, splitting the package won't save any space, since eric is
> Python-only (Arch..: all).

If the data files are a fair size, I'd put them in a separate package,
which is recommended by the main package.  Some people have good enough
memories that they don't need no steenkin' code completion... <grin>
- Matt