Re: DESTDIR and .conf file

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 08:11:24PM -0300, Lucas Wall wrote:
> On 03/08/2005 07:15 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> >On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:02:19PM +0100, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina
> >wrote:
> >>2 ) --------
> >>
> >>To install the configuration file, I append to what I written (in the
> >>"install" section yet:
> >>
> >>       cp minimalist.conf-sample debian/minimalist/etc/minimalist.conf
> >>I had to append 'etc' into the 'dirs' file.
> >>Is it right ?
> >
> >Yes.  This makes it a "configuration file".  If you want it to be a
> >conffile (which I suspect you do), you should also list it in
> >debian/conffiles.
>
> You don't need to add it to debian/conffiles if you use debhelper
> compatibility level 3 or higher[1] (current dh_make sets comp level to
> 4). All files in etc/ are automatically flagged as conffiles by
> dh_installdeb.
Thanks for pointing this out:)  You just forced me to confront my
understanding of conffiles again.

If a file is provided by the package, then it is a conffile and not
only a configuration file.

OTOH, if maintainer scripts create the file (possibly from a template
in /usr/share/), then it is a configuration file but not a conffile.

Cheers,
Justin