Re: dealing with non-standard upstream packaging?

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 01:53:55PM +0800, pabs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there is any info about best practice in the
> situation where upstream source packaging doesn't use the standard
> foo-0.1.2/ inside of foo-0.1.2.tar.gz scheme?
>
> I suppose repacking the tarball/etc before using dh_make is enough, but
> is there a standard way to make this a bit more automated for new
> upstream releases?
>
> Another, question: why do some orig.tar.gz files contain a tarball that
> looks to be the upstream source, instead of being a copy of the upstream
> source? gaim for example.
Provide debian/rules:get_orig_source which downloads the upstream
tarball, as recommended [0].

The debian tools (dpkg-source, I guess) can deal with almost all
upstream tarballs.  Even if they extract to the current directory, or
if they extract to a directory not called name-version.

If you have to repackage it, (FE for DFSG compliance), then you should
create the tarball name_version.orig.tar.gz which extracts to the
directory name-version.orig/ (such as to implicitly identify it as a
nonpristine tarball).  get_orig_source should do this, too.

Justin