Re: Help about license

"Nelson A. de Oliveira" <n3150nao@bol.com.br> schrieb:

> Hi mentors
>
> I need one help.
> When there is a program that only says "(c) GNU Copyleft", what do I put
> on debian/copyright file, at section "License:"?
> GNU Copyleft could be considered GNU GPL?

In Copyright law, you should rarely "consider something as meaning
...".  This statement ist just a no-license.  You should contact
upstream and kindly ask them to change this to a proper copyright
statement.  Note that a license and a copyright are two different
things.  In the end it will have to look like this:

,----
| Copyright: 2004, 2005 J. Random Developer
|            2004       Friend Ly. Contributor
|
| This program is free software. You can distribute and/or modify it under
| the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
| Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your
| option) any later version.
`----

That is, there must be a statement about which persons own the
copyright, and a separate statement about the distribution conditions.

After this there should be either a copy of the GPL, or a reference
where it can be found. On Debian, it often looks as what I paste below,
but for upstream this is obviously not possible.  Also note that it is
*not* sufficient to put a copy of the GPL in the tarball.  Instead,
there *must* be a statement that the software is intended to be covered
by that license!

This is an example how a copyright file could look like:

**************************************

This package was debianized by Frank Küster <frank@kuesterei.ch> on
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:41:38 +0100, using work from the former maintainers.

It was downloaded from http://netenv.sourceforge.net/.

Upstream Author: Gerd Bavendiek <bav@epost.de>

Copyright:

netenv and associated files are copyrighted by Gerd Bavendiek
<bav@epost.de>, 1998-2003

The math utility included in the source (but not used and packaged in
Debian) is copyright 1994, 1995, 1996 Bruce Perens.

Modifications of netenv package for Debian GNU/Linux are copyrighted
1998 Brian Mays, 1998 Michael Meskes, 2001 Robert van der Meulen, 2003
Frank Küster.

All parts of this program are free software; you can redistribute it
and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
License, or (at your option) any later version.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License,
version 2, with the Debian GNU/Linux distribution in file
/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307
USA

--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich