Re: Move config-files from /etc into /etc/foobar during package upgrade

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 03:37:03AM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:

> Are there special things I need to care of? Does anyone know a package,
> where the configuration files moved? I already added a NEWS file. But
> not every user installed apt-listchanges, so I should also inform him
> during update. Is it enough, do this on command-line or should I better
> use a debconf-dialog? Is it enough to only inform the user or should I
> better ask him [1], if his configuration files should be moved? What
> would you do?

Leafnode has this situation.  It copies the file using cat in preinst
and then removes the original.  It doesn't ask the user so that things
keep on working after the upgrade without the user having to go and
manually fix their system.