Re: Move config-files from /etc into /etc/foobar during package upgrade

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 03:37:03AM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently preparing an update for a package. Until now, the
> configuration file(s) was/were located in /etc. Now there are changes,
> which make it more useful to have the configuration files
> inside /etc/foobar. The configuration files look like foobar.conf*.
>
> Are there special things I need to care of?

As a newbie maintainer myself, I find the examples and explanations in
http://www.dpkg.org/ConffileHandling very useful for dealing with
conffiles.  If your configuration file didn't change format (i.e., the
user just need to copy the old /etc/foobar.conf* to
/etc/foobar/foobar.conf* without any changes), I believe the section
about "Moving a conffile" is exactly what you need.

Also, if the file format didn't change, I don't see any reason the user
should be asked if he/she wants to move the conffile, the package should
just move for him/her.

Ming
2005.12.31