Re: Rationale behind script-not-executable lintian warning

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 05:45:43PM +0100, Frank K?ster wrote:
> It's of course clear that any script in the path should be executable.
> But if a script is in /usr/share/somewhere, and meant to be used as a
> "library", it could be that upstream wants to allow both to source and
> to execute it.
>
> So to make lintian happy, I would have to make it executable although I
> know it will never be executed by Debian programs.  Or I would have to
> patch the file to remove the shebang line.

If it is meant to be executed, it should be executable.  If it is not, it
should not have the shebang line.  I don't see the problem.

Indeed, if upstream wants to allow both to source and to execute it, then it
is meant to be executed and thus should be executable IMO, even if the script
is never executed from the Debian package (but only sourced).

> Therefore I'd rather keep things as they are, but there must be a reason
> for the lintian warning.  In the Policy section on permissions I
> couldn't find anything specific.

I haven't seen anything in policy either, but I can't see any use for having a
shebang line without execute permissions.  Can you give an example?

Thanks,
Bas