Re: Creating a randomized cron entry

Florian Weimer wrote:
> I'm not sure what users would expect from such a service.

In the case of debsecan, as an admin I would expect something
consistent, so I can, for example, start the day with a coffee and a
security report, rather than getting the report at some random time
during the day.

(As a more desktopish user, I'd rather expect something that lives in
the toolbar and pops up an alert when there is a new security hole/fix,
but that's beyond what debsecan does right now.)

> I mainly want to avoid a scenario where all clients arrive at 17
> minutes past the full hour, and need to be served at the same time.

Stefano's solution seems like a good one as long as the total max delay
isn't too long. Putting it in cron.daily at the end (zzsecan) would help
add some additional randomisation since the run time of the rest of
cron.daily varies from machine to machine.

Oh BTW, the second example on your web page seems to incorrenctly use
the same command line as the first example.

--
see shy jo