Creating a randomized cron entry

I'd like to create a cron entry which is run once a day, at some
random time.  This is necessary because the cron entry will result in
a request over the network, and I want to avoid that all hosts in a
time zone pound the server at the same time.

What is the recommended way to achieve this?  Include a script, to be
run manually, which creates the cron entry?  (In this case, that would
be acceptable because the cron entry creation should probably be
optional anyway.)  Shall I remove the cron entry when the package is
purged?