Re: Creating a randomized cron entry

Re: Florian Weimer in <87acf223bk.fsf@mid.deneb.enyo.de>
> I'd like to create a cron entry which is run once a day, at some
> random time.  This is necessary because the cron entry will result in
> a request over the network, and I want to avoid that all hosts in a
> time zone pound the server at the same time.

I guess it is ok if you create a fixed entry for a machine, and the
different entries on different machines will then do the load
balancing. Just pick two random numbers and put them in /etc/cron.d/.

Keep in mind that Debian users usually expect that daily cronjobs will
still be run if the machine is down at night and anacron is installed.
You might want to add an additional @reboot job.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/