Re: RFS: sysinfo -- simple GNU/Linux program that displays computer/system information

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:18:05AM -0600, Carlo Segre wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Frank K?ster wrote:
> >Mario Iseli <mario@marioiseli.com> wrote:
> >
> >>debian/changelog:
> >>  * Initial Debian Release (Closes: 333680)
> >>This makes no sense, it is a debian package so the "debian" can be
> >>ommited, the rest is ok.
> >
> >If Adriaan previously published deb packages in his local repository, it
> >might well make sense to speak of an initial Debian release.
>
> This raises a question.  If I have been packaging some software for some
> time and finally decide to get it into Debian, should I wipe out the
> entire changelog, remove any epochs that might have been used, etc?
>
> My guess is yes because one would not want to imply that there were
> previous versions in the Debian archives.  Any thoughts?
Although it is kind of "nice" to not have an epoch, it is not
practical to get rid of them..that's the whole point of their
existence.  Unless you directly control all the machines running that
package, and can manually update them to the un-epoched version in the
archive (and I don't know that there's any reason to do this, either).

I would strongly advise against removing changelog entries; they could
turn out to be useful.

--
Clear skies,
Justin