Packaging freeloader: problem with python gtk module dependency

Hi,

I'am currently packaging freeloader, a Gnome download manager written in
Python and supporting torrents (http://www.ruinedsoft.com/freeloader/),
but I have a problem with build dependencies.

According the homepage, requirements are:
+ Linux operating system (similar systems may work)
+ python 2.3 or 2.4
+ pygtk 2.6
+ 2 MB install space
+ GTK+ 2.6 or greater
+ BitTorrent python module version 3.4

My build-depends field in control file is:
debhelper (>= 4.0.0), imagemagick (>= 6), python (>= 2.3),
python2.3-gtk2 (>= 2.6), bittorrent (>= 3.4)

I build the package successfully with debuild and dpkg-buildpackage, but
when using pdebuild in a a sid chroot, the configure script cannot find
python gtk module:
/.../
checking for python... (cached) python2.3
checking for main in -lpython2.3... (cached) no
checking for python2.3/Python.h... (cached) no
  results of the Python check:
    Binary:      python2.3
    Library:     no
    Include Dir: no
checking python module: pygtk... yes
checking python module: gtk... no
configure: error: failed to find required module gtk
make: *** [config.status] Error 1
pbuilder: Failed autobuilding of package
/.../

The test from the configure file for the gtk python module is:
    echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking python module: gtk" >&5
echo $ECHO_N "checking python module: gtk... $ECHO_C" >&6
    python -c "import gtk" 2>/dev/null
    if test $? -eq 0;
    then
        echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: yes" >&5
echo "${ECHO_T}yes" >&6
        eval HAVE_PYMOD_GTK=yes
    else
        echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: no" >&5
echo "${ECHO_T}no" >&6
        eval HAVE_PYMOD_GTK=no
        #
        if test -n "1"
        then
            { { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: failed to find required
module gtk" >&5
echo "$as_me: error: failed to find required module gtk" >&2;}
   { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }
            exit 1
        fi
    fi

I checked the packages I have installed on my development machine, but I
cannot see anything more than the build-depends.
When I launch python -v and try to import gtk module, all the objects
come from the /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0/ directory, which
belongs to pythong2.3-gtk2 package.

Could it be linked to the chroot that does not have correct environment
and cannot find the correct path? If yes, how can I fix this problem?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

Cheers
Julien