statist - terminal based statistics program

Hello!

I would like to add a small statistics software to Debian
official packages. Statist home page currently is on:

  http://www.usf.uos.de/~breiter/tools/statist/index.en.html

Soon we will have a new release of statist (1.3.1), and I've
edited a script that creates a binary .deb file. (I got the
original script from Kurumin, a Kannopix/Debian based
distro). I checked the package with lintian and fixed all
warnings and errors reported. Linda reports two errors but
don't is as informative as lintian on how to fix them.

  E: statist-1.3.1-1; Package does not contain a copyright file.
   The package does not have a copyright file, which is a
   violation of a Policy.
  E: statist-1.3.1-1; The package contains no changelog.
   The package shown above has no changelog installed. It
   should *always* have a Debian changelog.

In fact, the package has the changelog and the copyright
files, but they might be in the wrong directory.

I don't know very well how to use the Debian tools to build
a package. I'm using only dpkg-deb, and I need help to
replace the script with the adequate procedures.

Currently, it's possible to create the package following the
steps below:

1) Download the tarball from the cvs tree:
  http://intevation.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs-statist.cgi/statist/statist.tar.gz?tarball=1

  (If you use wget, it might be necessary to rename the file,
  removing "?tarbal=1" from its name).

2) Edit the file Makefile.inc, changing the path from
"/usr/local" to "/usr"

3) Compile the binary(cd src; make).

4) Compile the pdf files (cd ../doc; make).

5) Run the script "create_deb_rpm.sh".

There was an ITP  bug report for statist-1.0.1 in the past
(bug # 155073), but it was closed due to more than 365 days
of inactivity. The package was uploaded to
mentors.debian.net repository:

  http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/statist/

Can anyone help me? I think I need a sponsor...

Best regards,

Jakson