Re: Problem with g++-4.0

"Jose Carlos do Nascimento" <josecarlos.nascimento@varig.com> wrote in message news:43625FFB.4020202@varig.com...
I will open bug against gcc4 and gcc3.4.

Please make sure that the libraries listed below were rebuilt with g++3.4 and it was not trying to use versions compiled with g++3.0
../gb/libgb.a ../prof/libprof.a ../i386/lib386.a

The following are the libs you posted listed that are not part of VBA:
-lSDL -lpthread -lpthread -lpng -lz

AFAIK none of those are c++ libs, so the problem does not seem to be ABI, unless it was as noted above.

Also please be certain you are using the absolute most recent version of gcc 4.0 and of the linker. Similar bugs have been reported to gcc/ld's upstream and have been patched.

Are you by any chance using IA-64? These sorts of errors tend to be found on that architecture more than on others. If so please try compiling VBA with gcc 4.0 and/or gcc 3.4 under a different platform. If it compiles correctly then it is definatly either a gcc bug or a linker bug.

Regardless. I've seen bugs that look similar reported on both gcc and 'ld'. The key is to make sure redhat's sourceware team (the upstream maintainers of both gcc and 'ld') sees this and they will figure it out. Let the maintainer of the gcc package know that it is most likley an upstream bug, and that the bug *might* be in either the linker or gcc. The redhat team is best equipped to determine this.