Patching a config file

Hello Mentors!

Package "freetype1-tools" owns a configuration file, namely
/etc/ttf2pk/ttfonts.map.

  This file contains a few entries for different fonts.  I am in the
process of creating a few font packages to be used with LaTeX and
CJK4.6.0, and would like each package to add/remove any necessary
lines automatically to this configuration file.

  Would you suggest a solution with *.d/ directories and update-*
commands?  Wouldn't it be a bit overkill for such a small package?  Or
should I use "maintainer scripts" like in chapter 6 of the Debian
Policy?  And could someone suggest a good small source package as an
example?

  And would you regard this file as a "configuration file", or a
"conffile"?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards.

Danai SAE-HAN