Re: Packaging snapshots

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 09:37:14AM +1000, Kai Hendry wrote:
> Just wondering about packaging snapshots of a package.
>
> Ok, snapshots could be known as "backups". Here I am talking about
> pulling from say a Subversion repository and building a package.
>
> For now I want to do this just to keep tabs on what upstream has
> planned. Not so much for unstable...
>

> I remember being a little bewildered by the version string in Debian. Is
> this OK?
>
> frodo$ apt-cache show irssi-snapshot | grep Version:
> Version: 0.8.6+cvs.20031114-1
>
> And how does that compare to:
>
> frodo$ apt-cache show gcc-snapshot | grep Version:
> Version: 20051008-1
>

> Is this documented somewhere?
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version
>
> Could be elaborated on with examples. Be good if the dates were iso8601
> style:
> date --iso-8601=hours
>
> 2005-10-18T16+1000
>
> But then they would be twice as long...
>
> Best wishes,

(I'm no DD; just my personal opinion)

Hi,

The New Maintainer's Guide suggests (section 2.3):

===
]    Also check for the exact version of the program (to be included in the
]    package version).  If that piece of software is not numbered with
]    versions like X.Y.Z, but with some kind of date, feel free to use that
]    date as the version number, prepended with a "0.0."  (just in case
]    upstream people one day decide to release a nice version like 1.0).
]    So, if the release or snapshot date was 19th of December, 1998, you
]    can use the version string of 0.0.19981219.
===

(which explains BTW why gcc-snapshot does not have any leading upstream
version number - it's explicitly defined as "snapshot-only package",
which will never see an upstream release like "1.0" or similar)

So as your package _does_ have a numbering and you're packaging
intermediate snapshots, I'd combine the two to

"<last released upstream version>+<snapshot date>"

I think increasing the resolution to hours is pointless, since there's only
one dinstall run per day. - Including the dashes in the date seems like
a matter of taste: the following "survey" was done on testing...

hesso@fb3-c16:~>egrep -c "^Version: .*[0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{2}*" /var/lib/dpkg/available
23
hesso@fb3-c16:~>egrep -c "^Version: .*[0-9]{4}\.[0-9]{2}\.[0-9]{2}*" /var/lib/dpkg/available
143