Re: 'RFP', 'wnpp', 'ITP',...

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:50:12 +0200, Rakotomandimby Mihamina <mihamina.rakotomandimby@etu.univ-orleans.fr> said:

> Hi, I am slowly creating my yum package.  I saw many advices to use
> ITP, wnpp, RFP,...  I saw no real mention to those in the maintainer
> guide.

ITP: intent to package.  The class of bugs filed against the wnpp pseudo
  package to indicate that you are planning on creating a package for
  some software for inclusion in Debian.
RFP: request for package.  The class of bugs filed against the wnpp
  pseudo package to indicate that you want someone to create a Debian
  package for some software.
wnpp: work needing and prospective packages -- the pseudo-package that
  you file bugs against regarding package maintenance.  In addition to
  ITP and RFP, there is:
  O: Orphan, to indicate that a package no longer has a maintainer
  RFA: Request For Adoption, to indicate that you want someone else to
    take over the package, but are still capable of maintaining it
  ITA: Intent to Adopt, which you rename an RFA bug to, indicating that
    you want to take over maintenance
  RFH: Request For Help, to indicate that you need help with the package

For more information, see the WNPP web pages:
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

> (I got the french version).  http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l1
> describes longly what does those terms stand for.  Must I use them?

If you are just creating packages for your own personal use, you don't
need to use them (and should not).  If you are creating packages for
eventual inclusion in Debian, you should use them (and check to see if
other people have already filed ITP bugs), to avoid stepping on other
peoples' toes.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA