Re: RFS: GNU mcron, alternative cron, can run as normal user

 "Matthijs" == Matthijs Mohlmann <matthijs@cacholong.nl> writes:

Hi Matthijs, thanks very much for your feedback :)

  Matthijs> I tried to build it in pbuilder and there is a missing
  Matthijs> dependency. It is recommended to use pbuilder to see if
  Matthijs> you have all the dependencies in Build-Depends in
  Matthijs> debian/control. ed and probably texinfo are missing.

I also built it with pbuilder but it completed successfully. Is your
base sarge? texinfo should not be required for the build because there
is an included pre-generated info file in the upstream source. I'm
using pbuilder 0.134 with a freshly built sid base.tgz.

  Matthijs>  Did you run lintian on it ? There is a warning and a
  Matthijs>  error.

Yes, I did run lintian, no warnings at all but that was with lintian
From sarge. After installing lintian from sid I see the error and
warning you are referring to old, the old fsf-address in the copyright
file and not using the appropriate section for the info file. The
warning can be ignored (I should include a lintian override for it)
because the info file specifies its own section properly and it's not
worth modifying the upstream build-system just to silence
lintian. Good spot, thanks a lot. Fixed.

  Matthijs>  You have in Recommands mail-transfer-daemon, shouldn't
  Matthijs>  that be mail-transfer-agent ?

Quite right. Fixed and re-uploaded.

  Matthijs> I am a bit worried about these things in the build log:
  Matthijs> ./mkinstalldirs -m 'u=rwx' /var/cron mkdir -m u=rwx -p --
  Matthijs> /var/cron ./mkinstalldirs -m 'u=rwx,og=rx' /var/run
  Matthijs> ./mkinstalldirs -m 'u=rwx,og=rx' /usr/share/guile/site
  Matthijs> mkdir -m u=rwx,og=rx -p -- /usr/share/guile/site
  Matthijs> ./mkinstalldirs -m 'u=rwx,og=rx'
  Matthijs> /usr/share/guile/site/mcron mkdir -m u=rwx,og=rx -p --
  Matthijs> /usr/share/guile/site/mcron

  Matthijs> You are installing these directories by doing
  Matthijs> dh_installdirs. And also by this install target. And as I
  Matthijs> see, I think the install target does it with hardcoded
  Matthijs> paths and not relative to the debian directory.

I also dislike it. I asked a few days ago about issues with guile site
directory on -mentors and have yet to get a response but asuffield on
#debian-devel suggested that I work around it in debian/rules rather
than modifying upstream's build system specifically for Debian. The
upstream author has been notified and has responded to me that there
will be a new improved version before the end of December. I would
like to continue discussion of this on my previous thread on

  Matthijs> As far as I can see only the postinst is used, why then
  Matthijs> installing also postrm, preinst and prerm ?

Because it is a daemon and debhelper fills those in appropriately with
the right calls to invoke-rc.d.

  Matthijs> Take also a look at the debhelper programs that you
  Matthijs> use. There are some that are unneeded for example:
  Matthijs> dh_installexamples.

I've left dh_installexamples because I am still in the process of
working with Gerrit Pape, maintainer/author of the runit package,
about getting some examples in there to integrate with runit for
providing user service instead of system-wide. You're right, though, I
should review all of those again.

  Matthijs> Advice: Take a look at dh_install. You then can specify
  Matthijs> which files you want to install and where. (I see a rm
  Matthijs> $(CURDIR)/debian/usr/bin/mcron and then you install it in
  Matthijs> usr/sbin/)

I wanted to use dh_install but dh_install cannot rename files; that
was the real purpose there. The upstream makefile installs the cron
replacement program in usr/bin/cron with strange permissions and it
was easier to just delete it and use the install program than call mv
and use chmod. Note that I am rm'ing "cron" not "mcron".

  Matthijs> Would be a nice program to see in debian.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. Please tell me what version of
pbuilder and the rest of your setup so that I can figure this out
  David D. Smith
A man without doubt is a monster.