Re: lintian warning native-package-with-dash-version

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:00:47PM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> >>You might consider using the -v 0.2.2.1 option in dh_make to
> >>convert this to a compliant version number.  The second -1 will still be
> >>there in the final package because that is the debian revision.  The
> >>cause that lintian has suggested does not seem to be your case as you
> >>properly identified the source tarball in the dh_make command.
> >
> >The dh_make command has nothing to do with the places where
> >dpkg-buildpackage searches for sources. This is *always*
> >../${NAME}_${UPSTREAM_VERSION}.orig.tar.gz, no matter how you called
> >dh_make.
>
> But the thing is that the upstream version is 0.2.2-1 and the name of
> the .orig.tar.gz created is gnuplotfortran-0.2.2_1.orig.tar.gz  which is
> not exactly {NAME}_{UPSTREAM_VERSION}.orig.tar.gz . I think lintian is
> looking for something like gnuplotfortran-0.2.2-1.orig.tar.gz and since
> it is not finding such a file, it is giving the above error. Is there a
> way to do create gnuplotfortran-0.2.2-1.orig.tar.gz instead of
> gnuplotfortran-0.2.2_1.orig.tar.gz?
You can do whatever you have to do to create the .orig.tar.gz.
dh_make is a tool which is to be used precisely once for each package,
and if you have an alternate way of getting where you should be, then
that is just as fine as the dh_make way.  Upstream names are allowed
to have hyphens in them.  I don't know about upstream versions,
though..  lintian might be looking for a package called
gnuplotfortran-0.2.2 whose version is 1?

But, if dh_make has a problem, please report a bug.  Likewise for
lintian.

--
Clear skies,
Justin