Pulling X11 dependency out of the Erlang package.

Hello all,

I'm the erlang package maintainer.  I've been suggested by someone to make an
Erlang package that is not dependant on X11.  I found that logic because an
Erlang system node doesn't usually require an UI.  But, after thinking about
that, I saw several possible ways of reorganizing my package to accomplish
that goal.  I need to hear about what is the ideal way amongst those:

- Remove the part of the main package that require X11 and put it in a new
package.  The main package could Recommend the installation of the X11
package.  I think that's not the best way as people might miss the
recommendation of apt and later wonder where the UI toolkit has gone.  Also,
if I use this option, how should I name the new package? (erlang-x11,
liberlang-gs [gs is the name of the toolkit], other?)

- Using the previous solution, "erlang" could become a virtual package which
would install all the usually stuff including the X11 toolkit in it's
independent package.  That way, most people would install all the required
things and experts could install only the package they want.  This idea makes
even more sense as I may need to remove some other parts of the main
distribution and put them in packages.

- Make a new version of the main package with the X11 dependency removed.
Some package works that way (example: ocaml-base vs. ocaml-base-nox).

François-Denis Gonthier