Re: curious deb installation

Hi,

When I unpack debian packages, they have the following structure:
debian-file
	\- control.tar.gz
	\- data.tar.gz
	\- debian-version

In control.tar.gz are the postinst, etc. files, in data.tar.gz are all the
"normal" files.  debian-version is just a number.

To see this, unpack a package of your choice with
ar x package.deb
Note that that unpacks in the current directory, so go somewhere where that is
no problem.

Is there any reason you don't want to use dpkg-buildpackage, by the way?  I
can't think of a good reason not to...

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 09:38:18AM +0200, Roland Pontes wrote:
> Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
> Abh?ngigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
> Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
> ordnername
> 0 aktualisiert, 1 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 0 nicht aktualisiert.
> Es m?ssen noch 0B von 662B Archiven geholt werden.
> Nach dem Auspacken werden 0B Plattenplatz zus?tzlich benutzt.

It would probably be a good idea to unset your locale setting when pasting
such results to an international mailing list.  Many people here will not
speak german and therefore understand only part of it.

Thanks,
Bas