Re: howto deal with upstream authors not responding?

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 01:41:58PM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> The problem is:
>
> On kde-look[1], everaldo put his icons under LGPL, but he did not put a copy
> of this license in his tarball.

While a copy of the license gives more legal certainty, I don't think it is
required.  It is a good idea to put one in Debian nontheless.  There a
pointer to /usr/share/common-licenses will do for LGPL, but you may want to
put a copy of the license in the diff.gz (but don't include it in the binary
packages).  Not sure if doing that makes sense though.

> But on his homepage[2] he has a more restrict copyright which seems just
> because he also sells other icons. Unfortunatly all crystal icon sets he
> has created so far are on this page too, which means his strict copyright
> note must apply to the crystal icons too, because not stated otherwise.

It seems to me they are available under the LGPL if you get them from
kde-look, and under the more restrictive license if you get them from his
site.  In that case it's your choice which license you want to agree to, if
any.  You need a license if you want to modify and redistribute it, and in
this case the LGPL is probably the one you want to use (and thus agree to).

> NOTE: As far as I understand, this means that our current default icon set
> on KDE3 is unfree as well :(

If the files were licensed under the LGPL, then they still are.  The LGPL
cannot be revoked (except if it is violated by the licensee, which I assume is
not the case).  So there isn't really a problem.

Remember that a license is a right to do things you would otherwise not be
allowed to do.  You get a license with software.  Software can be licensed to
different people using different licenses simultaneously.  So software cannot
"be" GPL, the software is licensed to someone under the GPL.  The author can
license the same software to someone else under a more restrictive license,
but that doesn't change anything to the licenses which were already given out.

> Any ideas what I can do now?

Get the icons from somewhere under the LGPL.  Contacting the author about it
would be nice, but the good thing about the (L)GPL is that it's not actually
needed in order to redistribute the material.

IANAL, TINLA.

Greetings,
Bas Wijnen