Re: RFS: Plash: a shell and restricted environment for running programs with minimum authority

Mark Seaborn wrote:
> LD_PRELOAD isn't good enough.  Plash needs to replace *all* uses of
> system calls that use filenames, including glibc's internal uses of
> those system calls.  Back in the day of glibc 2.2.5, you *could* do
> this by overriding "__open" and "__libc_open" as well as "open".  But
> with glibc 2.3.3, a lot of these calls are now resolved internally,
> without going through the dynamic linker (glibc uses "__GI_open"
> etc.).  Furthermore, glibc inlines system calls, including "open", in
> some places.

Yeah, I know from mooix (which uses a similar but less generalised
security model as plash), that wrapping open() is horrendous.

I suppose that syscall interception was considered and not used for some
reason?

I'd be interested in sponsoring plash, but this libc issue needs to be
resolved in some way first.

--
see shy jo