Re: RFS: python-goopy

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 10:29:37PM -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 07:40:35AM +0530, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > 1.docs: Upstream claims that they have docs, but there aren't
> >   any. Anyway, the source is well commented. What should I do with the
> >   README and PKG-INFO?
> Documentation should be in an architecture independent package if it
> is of any substatial size.  Include whatever documentation you feel
> might be useful for an end user.  It is typical to leave out the "how
> to compile" document, since Debian is a "binary distribution".

Well, then there isn't any documentation except the comments in the
source .py file.

> > 2.There is one file, functional_unittest.py which is executable. Now,
> >   its permissions get set to 644 even if I add a
> >   -Xfunctional_unittest.py to dh_fixperms.
> You can just chmod it (them?) from the fules file to give it whatever
> permissions you want.

Yes. I'll do that, but I left it as a last resort.

> > 3.functional_unittest.py has #!/usr/bin/env python at the
> >   top. Standards demand that it should be #!/usr/bin/python2.x for the
> >   appropriate Python version. Is there a standard way to take care of
> >   this or do I write some sed substitution do do it?
> You can do sed, or you can use a patch.  There are elaborate patch
> systems for Debianization, such as dpatch, but it sounds like you
> don't need it at all.  Just modify the file, and call "debuild" or
> whatever your favorite frontend is; it will regenerate the
> diff.gz, which will then include a patch fragment which changes the
> first line.
>
> But, if you are making multiple binary packages, for multiple python
> versions (As I recall), then sed seems appropriate:
>
> 	name='./path/functional_unittest.py';
> 	sed -i -e '1 s,.*,#!/usr/bin/python2.2,' ./debian/foo-2.2/$name
> 	sed -i -e '1 s,.*,#!/usr/bin/python2.4,' ./debian/foo-2.4/$name

Is it all right to use sed -i? sed -i is supported only in sed 4+. I
guess it is..., then does my build need to depend on sed?

Otherwise, I guess the stuff is all right. I'll make the changes you
have recommended at the earliest.

> Clear skies,
> Justin

Thanks a lot.