Re: RFS: Plash: a shell and restricted environment for running programs with minimum authority

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 11:47:51PM +0100, Mark Seaborn wrote:
> "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 03:01:40PM +0100, Mark Seaborn wrote:
> > > I'm looking for a sponsor for putting Plash into Debian.
> > >
> > > The main page is:  http://plash.beasts.org
> > > and Debian packages are at:
> > > http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~seaborn/plash/plash_1.11_i386.deb
> > > http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/plash/plash_1.11.dsc
> > > http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/plash/plash_1.11.tar.gz
> > > (The Debian source package contains a copy of glibc 2.3.3, which is
> > > 13Mb, but the source for Plash itself is only 200k.)
> >
> > Why?  This is a sure-fire way to make sure a package is not accepted.
>
> How else am I supposed to do it?  It needs the glibc source to build.
>
> Is there a way for a source package to use the contents of another
> source package, such as Debian's existing glibc package?  Even if
> there was, this is not very helpful, because Debian includes glibc
> 2.3.2.

Stable and testing include glibc 2.3.2.  Unstable, against which your
package would need to build, currently has 2.3.5.  I went through
something similar when I started trying to package anyterm.  It required
a private header file that was in the source of a library package.  The
solution was to ask the upstream for the library to expose those things
needed by the anyterm developer so that it could build with only the
normal .h and library files.

Looking at the plash website, it appears that they actually use a
modified glibc, so I am not so sure my suggestion would apply.  However,
I do remember that recently there was a push to identify packages that
included their own versions of libraries which already existed as
library packages.  Though, to be honest, I am not sure what the reaction
to your package will be.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez