Re: error while running lintian

Prashanth wrote:
> Hello

Hi!

> I am trying to create my first debian package, a python C binding. When
> i run lintian on the changes file i get the following error. I have
> touched a COPYRIGHT file in the source directory. still the error
> remain. Sorry for the n00b question :(

An empty file isn't a copyright file ;)
Hava a look at the Policy Manual as proposed.

> W: python-ldtp: package-relation-with-self depends: python-ldtp (= 0.1.8-1)
> N:
> N:   The package declares a relationship with itself. This is not very
> N:   useful, except in the case of a package Conflicting with itself, if
> N:   its package name doubles as a virtual package.
> N:
> N: Removing /tmp/bgQ9nGzDGL ...
>

> Also how do i remove that warning? which says that there is a self
> dependancy

Hm have a look at the Policy Manual, section 8.2 and this [1] thread.
Maybe this solves your problem.

"8.2 Run-time support programs

If your package has some run-time support programs which use the shared
library you must not put them in the shared library package. If you do
that then you won't be able to install several versions of the shared
library without getting filename clashes.

Instead, either create another package for the runtime binaries (this
package might typically be named libraryname-runtime; note the absence
of the soversion in the package name), or if the development package is
small, include them in there."

> Thanks in advance

Bye
Armin