autotools during build

Hello mentors,

I have some packages which use autotools.  I thought it would be good to
compile as much as possible, so it is clear all the sources are correct.  That
means including autoconf, of course.

However, linda doesn't agree with that:
W: gfpoken; Package Build-Depends on automake* or autoconf.
 This package Build-Depends on automake* or autoconf. This is almost
 never a good idea, as the package should run autoconf or automake on
 the source tree before the source package is built.

lintian doesn't consider this to be a problem.

My question is: is linda correct and should I not run autoconf from
rules.make?  Extrapolating that would mean that compilation is not needed at
all, if a precompiled version of the program is packaged in the source
tarball.  That doesn't seem right to me.  So if linda is right, then where is
the limit?  Generated files which are included for portability reasons (such as
configure) are ok, but others are not?

Thanks,
Bas