sbuild vs relative paths

Dear mentors,
  the last version of ocaml I uploaded FTBFS on all autobuilders but
build properly on my unstable and in a pbuilder chroot.

According to the build logs (e.g. [1]) the FTFBS happened at this point:

  if [ -x ./ocamlopt ]; then                                      \
          /usr/bin/make -C ocaml-md5sums/ opt;                            \
  else                                                            \
          /usr/bin/make -C ocaml-md5sums/ all;                            \
  fi
  make[1]: Entering directory `/build/buildd/ocaml-3.08.3/ocaml-md5sums'
  ../ocamlopt -I ../otherlibs/unix -I ../otherlibs/str unix.cmxa str.cmxa -o ocaml-md5sums.opt ocaml-md5sums.ml
  make[1]: ../ocamlopt: Command not found
  make[1]: *** [ocaml-md5sums.opt] Error 127

As you can see the test verifies that there exists an "ocamlopt"
executable and then enters a subdir from which "../ocamlopt" is invoked
unsuccessfully.

Am I missing something important about sbuild and its setup on the
various autobuilders?

Cheers.

[1] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=ocaml&ver=3.08.3-4&arch=powerpc&stamp=1122732142&file=log&as=raw