Display upgrade note

Hi all,

probably this has been asked before but my searches did not give proper
results.

I want to display a message to the user via debconf. The message should
only appear if the user upgrades from a version below a special value
(0.5.0 in my case).

My first attempt was to check if some directories already exist while
installation is at config-level. Unfortunately, the files are already
installed at this point.
Next I tried preinst-level but the debconf commands are not available at
this time.

Is there a standard way to get the old package version and compare it to
the new one?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Greetings,
Roland