Re: where to put object file

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 17:34 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> On 23-Jul-2005, skaller wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 10:18 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > Why isn't the object file built from source
> > It is compiled to save time.
>
> Save whose time? People who want precompiled binaries will get them
> from the binary package, with *everything* already compiled for their
> particular architecture.
>
> To allow maximum portability and to ensure dependencies don't get
> accidentally broken without being noticed, the source package should
> only include files that can't be rebuilt from the other source files.

We are really getting confused here and talking at cross
purposes.

I'm talking about the binary package(s). The question is:

"where should I *install* a main.o object file?"

"in which directory should main.o be put
in the end users file system?"

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>